With 25,000 runners running 26.2 miles in a city that is 7 miles by 7 miles, means that city streets will be affected!
To help you with planning, whether you are a runner trying to get to the start line, or a resident of San Francisco trying to get around the city on race day, here is information on traffic impact.
Impact on San Francisco Neighborhoods
Golden Gate Bridge Roadway Lanes – 1:00am to 10:00am
- From 1:00am to 6:00am, the roadway lane configuration on the Bridge and Doyle Drive will be transitioned to accommodate the Marathon runners.
- From 6:00am to 9:00am, the Marathon course will occupy 2 northbound lanes, with a third “buffer” lane between the runners and traffic. There will be 2 southbound traffic lanes and 1 northbound traffic lane.
- By 10:00am, the roadway will be returned to 3 northbound lanes and 3 southbound lanes.
Golden Gate Bridge Exit and Parking Area – 12:00am t0 10:00am
- Last northbound San Francisco exit, off Doyle Drive just before the toll plaza will be closed from midnight to 10:00 am.
- The southeast parking lot will also be closed from midnight to 10:00 am.
- First southbound exit after the toll plaza onto Merchant Road will have no access beyond the toll plaza itself and no access into the Presidio from Midnight to 10:00am.
- Vista Point exit (northeast side) and the Vista Point parking lot will be closed midnight to 10:00 am.
- Northwest side parking lot (off Conzelman Rd.) will be closed from 3:00am to 10:00 am.
Presidio and GGNRA – 12:00am to 10:00am
- From midnight to 10:00am, there will be no access to the Bridge through the Presidio.
- From 4:30am to 10:00am, Lincoln Blvd. and all intersections onto Lincoln Blvd. from the 25th Ave. gate to Lendrum Ct. will be closed.
- Baker Beach residents may enter the housing areas via the service road from Battery Caulfield. Intermittent traffic will be allowed access and egress from Baker Ct. and Brooks Ct. via Lincoln Blvd.
- From 4:30am to 10:00am, Mason Street and all intersections onto Mason Street will be closed from the Marina Gate to Crissy Field Avenue.
- From 4:30am to 10:00am, Crissy Field Avenue will be closed.
Richmond District – 6:00am to 10:00am
- Eastbound and Westbound Vehicle Traffic
- 26th and 27th Avenues from Fulton Street to Lake Street closed to through traffic. Cross on Clement, Geary, Anza or Balboa – expect significant delays.
Sunset and Richmond Districts – 6:00am to 11:30am
- Northbound and Southbound Vehicle Traffic
- North and south access through Golden Gate Park should use Great Highway, Kezar, or 19th Avenue/Park Presidio – expect significant delays.
Upper Haight Street – 6:30am to 11:30am
- North and south access across Upper Haight Street should use Kezar Drive (from or to Lincoln off Oak and Fell) – expect significant delays.
Lower Haight Street – 6:30am to 11:45am
- North and south access across Lower Haight Street should use Steiner or Fillmore – expect significant delays.
Market Street – 6:30am to 12:00 Noon
- West-East and East-West travel on, and access to, Market Street at Guerrero Street should expect significant delays.
Mission and Potrero Districts: 15th, 16th, and 17th Streets – 6:45am to 12:30pm
- North and southbound traffic needing to cross over 15th, 16th, and 17th streets should use Highway 280 or Highway 101 whenever possible. Crossovers are also available at some city streets where significant delays should be expected – Valencia, South Van Ness, Folsom, Bryant, or Potrero Street.
Third Street Detour – 7:00am to 12:30pm
- Impacted between 20th and 23rd Streets.
- Southbound traffic should use 20th Street overpass to Pennsylvania Street to 23rd Street to Third Street. Northbound traffic should use 23rd Street to Pennsylvania Street to 20th Street to Third Street.
Fisherman’s Wharf Closures – 5:00am to 7:30am
- On westbound Jefferson Street between Northpoint and Hyde, no vehicles will be allowed.
- Although a section of the Embarcadero is closed, Fisherman’s Wharf is still accessible through other city streets.
- Between Broadway and Harrison – 12:00am to 3:00pm Street will be closed to vehicles. Use southbound Battery St.
- Between Harrison and 3rd Street – 7:00am to 9:45am Street will be closed to traffic.
Northbound Embarcadero and King
- Between 3rd Street and Harrison – 7:00am to 9:45am Street will be closed to traffic.
- Between Harrison and Broadway – 12:00am to 3:00pm Street will be closed to traffic.
- Between Broadway and Northpoint – 5:00am to 10:00am Street will be closed to traffic.