The mission of Urban Sprouts is to partner with youth and their families to build environmental awareness, equity, wellness, and community by cultivating school gardens in San Francisco’s under-served neighborhoods.
Urban Sprouts uses garden-based education to:
- improve students’ learning in science and their ability to understand the natural systems;
- improve students’ nutrition and physical fitness;
- build community involvement within urban schools; and
- encourage youth and their families take action to improve food access and environmental justice in their communities.
Urban Sprouts bases all programming on a research-tested and behavior-driven model in order to provide high-quality garden-based education. The learning model, carried out by trained Garden Educators, helps youth go beyond knowledge and attitudes and affect youth behaviors associated with nutrition, physical activity, and environmental responsibility by:
- providing an adequate number of hours of experience to impact behaviors;
- engaging students in the entire process of growing food from seed to harvest to table; and
- building a collaboration of students, teachers, administrators, staff, and parents to improve student health through community involvement and community-wide events.
Funds raised will support the vital work of our team of Garden Educators and bilingual Community Outreach workers.
- Please join Urban Sprout’s marathon team.
- Step 1: Register for the race!
- Step 2: Join our team on Crowdrise and start fundraising!
- Once you’ve joined the team we will be in touch with more information.
- Urban Sprouts will provide t-shirts to all runners who participate and name Urban Sprouts as their non-profit beneficiary.