The San Francisco Marathon Expo: Friday, July 24th, 12pm-7pm and Saturday, July 25th, 9am-5pm
Join the excitement at the expo!
- Learn More
- Festival Pavilion, Fort Mason – 2 Marina Blvd., San Francisco
- 4 hour shifts, with snacks provided
Race Day Start and Finish Lines: Sunday, July 28th, 2019
Support the start or finish lines of our 5K, half marathons, or full marathon.
- Learn More
- Marathon Start Line at Mission and Embarcadero
- Marathon Finish Line at Justin Herman Plaza
- 1st Half Marathon Finish Line & 2nd Half Marathon Start Line at Golden Gate Park, JFK Drive & 14th Avenue Meadow
- 5K Finish Line at Embarcadero and Washington St
Race Day Water Stops: Sunday, July 28th, 2019
We have 16 water stops along the course, which provide much needed hydration and motivation to our runners. All supplies will be provided – you bring the excitement and desire to support runners!
- Learn More
- Must have 35-40 volunteers.
- Water Stops can be branded by your group.
- Nonprofits: your organization may be eligible to receive a donation in exchange for your 501c(3) group’s participation!
To Apply: Stay tuned for details on how to apply to volunteer at 2019’s events!
The San Francisco Marathon Volunteer Code of Conduct and Guidelines
The San Francisco Marathon staff requires that you read and adhere to all volunteer guidelines. We expect all volunteers to act in such a manner to help create a positive, safe, and fun atmosphere for all runners and spectators.
- Learn More
The San Francisco Marathon Volunteer Code of Conduct
- Conduct yourself as a positive, informative member of our volunteer team. Consider how long these runners have been training for, and help to celebrate their accomplishments!
- Follow all directions from your volunteer captain. These directions are in place for the safety of our runners and spectators.
- Refrain from using profane, harassing, or any other language which could be considered offensive while volunteering.
- Refrain from using any and all drugs, alcohol, and tobacco products while volunteering and during our events.
- Respect and treat all event participants with dignity and kindness. San Francisco is home to one of the most unique melting pot’s in the world. Everyone deserves a chance to run.
The San Francisco Marathon Volunteer Guidelines
- Upon arrival, please check in at your designated volunteer check in location.
- The San Francisco Marathon and staff are not responsible for lost or stolen items. We highly recommend volunteers leave any and all valuables at home.
- All volunteers must wear their volunteer shirt for the duration of their volunteer shift.
- All volunteers will be required to stand for most or all of their shift. Please be prepared by dressing comfortably and appropriately for your assignment. Aid station volunteers may get wet!
- All volunteers must plan to work for the entirety of their shift. Shift times and locations have been predetermined for safety precautions.
- Please do not bring children or pets to your volunteer shift location. These could be considered distractions from your volunteer responsibilities and otherwise create a safety concern for our participants.
- Aid Station Volunteers: Those volunteering at an aid station along the course will assist with setup, breakdown, and cleanup for the location. Volunteers should expect physical labor and dress appropriately, as you may get wet. It is imperative all aid station volunteers arrive on time and ready to work as water and electrolyte needs to be ready for distribution as the runners begin to race through. Shift times and locations are subject to change.
- If you need to cancel, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org immediately.
- Group leaders are required to attend the Pre-Race Volunteer Meeting. Please let race staff know asap if you are unable to attend. This meeting is highly important to discuss the schedule of events, instructions, parking, and race safety. The Pre-Race Volunteer Meeting time and location are TBD and subject to change if necessary.
As race week approaches, your group captain will be provided with more detailed information about your role. If you have any questions or comments about our guidelines, or need any additional information, please contact us.